We welcome Jasmine Chandra from Stone Church as our guest speaker and she continues our fall series "Now But Not Yet" which will take us through until the end of November. The series are clearly related as Jesus teaches his disciples about the kingdom of God so that when the Holy Spirit comes they will be empowered to living in it, the kingdom of God, here on earth, as one day in heaven. The teaching and practical insights he gives them about how he lives in the Kingdom, provide the guidance they (we) will need to live there as well.
Questions for Personal and Small Group Considerations on the Sunday Gospel Reading
- In school were you the “in” crowd or the “out” crowd?
- How would people in Jesus’ day view the two characters in this parable?
- Why did the tax collector go home ”justified before God” (v. 14) rather than the Pharisee?
- What point was Jesus making with the parable?
- When have you been like the Pharisee in this parable? Like the tax collector? What accounts for the difference?]
- How are you humble before God?