John Paul Westing continues our fall series "Now But Not Yet" which will take us through until the end of November. Mel Burns joins John Paul to then lead us through the practice of Examen with communion. Examen is a technique of prayerful reflection on events in order to detect God’s presence and discern his direction for us. The Examen is an ancient practice in the Church that can help us see God’s hand at work in our whole experience.
Questions for the Saints to ask of the Scriptures For All Saints Day:
- Who is in the crowd? Why have they come? How does Jesus meet their needs? How do his actions (vv.18-19) relate to his teaching (vv. 20-22)?
- What four qualities ought to characterize "kingdom people" (vv. 20-22)? How would you define each of these? What blessing is promised to each? Are these present blessings or future blessings?
- Who is Jesus addressing (vv. 24-26)? How would you define each warning he gives?
- How do the values Jesus talks about here compare with the values you are sold on TV?
- If you could add another "blessed" and another "woe" to counteract present day values, what would you want to add?