Raising the Dickens!
John Paul Westin continues our teaching series “Now But Not Yet” which will take us through until the end of November. The series are clearly related as Jesus teaches his disciples about the kingdom of God so that when the Holy Spirit comes they will be empowered to living in it, the kingdom of God, here on earth, as one day in heaven. The teaching and practical insights he gives them about how he lives in the Kingdom, provide the guidance they (we) will need to live there as well.
Questions for Personal and Small Group Considerations on the Sunday Gospel Reading from Luke 20:27-40 on Raising the Dickens!
- What was the last really big exam you had to prepare for? How did you do?
- Why would the Sadducees, an elite religious and political group, pose a question like this to Jesus?
- How seriously does Jesus treat this absurd question What if he had ridiculed it?
- What does Jesus teach about life after death (vv. 34-36)?
- How does he then “prove” the resurrection? (Note the verb tense in this Ex 3:6 quote and when the burning bush incident took place).
- How do the teachers of the law differ in their response? Why?